Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Butternut Squash x2

It looks messy but it's really yummy.


I always forget to post food things. I know some people think it's boring but I actually love reading about real people and the meals they make. I read plenty of food blogs with beautiful dinners where people have hours to prep in the kitchen but the reality is I have about 30 min to make a meal and half of that time is dragging Olive around on my leg (yep her new thing is melting down and holding on to my leg) For the few minutes that she happily destroys ever cupboard I quickly throw something together. This week I had a massive butternut squash just waiting to be used. I never cook with butternut squash so I had no idea what to do. I knew I didn't want to make a soup as every recipe seemed to suggest so I did a little research and came up with this. Fregula with Braised Butternut squash. It was so delicious and Olive loved it too. I ended up adding a little bit of tofu at the end since Olive is a big fan. I've been really excited to have her eat real meals with us so I try and make sure anything we cook she can eat or at least it can be deconstructed so she can eat it.

I didn't add the red pepper, I used cous cous, and a vegan broth. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/fregula-with-braised-butternut-squash-and-tomatoes-recipe/index.html

Ingredients

Directions

Coat a large saucepan generously with extra virgin olive oil. Add the onions and bring to a medium high heat. Season generously with salt and add the crushed red pepper. Saute until the onions are translucent and very aromatic, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute. Add the tomatoes. Fill the tomato can with water and add to the pan. Season with salt and cook over medium heat for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the water has reduced. Add the squash, stock, and bay leaf. Taste for seasoning and season with salt if needed. Cook until the squash is cooked through and most of the liquid has absorbed, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Bring a pan of well-salted water to a boil. Add the fregula and cook until it is cooked through but still al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Strain and add to the pot with tomatoes and squash. Stir to incorporate. Add more stock or water if the mixture is dry and cook longer if it is too soupy. When done it should have a stew-like consistency. Stir in the chives. This will be really good today but even better tomorrow! 

Since I had half the squash left I decided to make enchiladas inspired by this blog.

I REFUSE to eat whole wheat tortillas. Shit is gross.



http://www.dailygarnish.com/2011/08/roasted-butternut-squash-black-bean-enchiladas-with-homemade-sauce.html 

Roasting the butternut squash brings out a wonderful caramelized flavor, that when combined with onions, beans, and spices – make this dish a delicious addition to your dinner menu.
Ingredients (6-8 enchiladas)
  • 1 large butternut squash
  • 2 small onions (or 1 medium onion)
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • salt to taste
  • 6-8 whole wheat tortillas
  • 1 batch homemade enchilada sauce
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Then carefully peel, de-seed, and cube the butternut squash.
  2. Toss squash with a bit of oil and salt, and spread evenly on a sheet pan. Roast for 45 minutes or until soft, stirring once during cooking.
  3. While squash is cooking, this might be a good time to make your sauce! The squash should be slightly browned and very soft when finished.
  4. Transfer cubes to a large mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher or a fork.
  5. Set squash aside to cool. Dice onions and sauté until brown and soft. Add beans and cook for a minute or two until warmed.
  6. Transfer beans and onions to the squash bowl, and then season with spices and salt. Spread 1 cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 glass baking dish. Scoop squash filling evenly onto tortillas and then loosely roll…
  7. Place filled tortillas seam side down in the baking dish.
  8. Top tortillas with the remainder of the enchilada sauce. Make sure to use a spatula to get the sauce all around the sides of the pan and in between each tortilla!
  9. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. If you prefer, you can also top with cheese before baking, but we opted to eat ours naked.
  10. Serve with a side of your favorite salsa for dipping.
 I followed most of the recipe but used a bottle of sauce from Sprouts since I had it in the house but she posted a sauce recipe that actually sounds quite easy and delicious. I also added a little jalapeno cheese and chives on top before I cooked them. They were seriously so delicious and super easy. Olive got the butternut squash, onions, black beans, cheese, and a little tortilla but no sauce. Oh and I added a little avocado on the side.

Yay for cooking with butternut squash. I got 2 meals and plenty of leftovers from one squash which makes me very happy. I'm definitely on the lookout for more recipes for butternut squash so let me know if you have any........





If you don't mind, please click. Vote For Us @ TopBaby Blogs! The Best Baby Blog Directory

1 comment: