Friday, October 28, 2011

just stuff

I was flipping through my Bon Appetit this morning and came across this recipe. I'm always drawn to things that I know I have in my kitchen and of course vegetarian so this was a pretty perfect fit for tonight. Although it didn't stray too far from our normal ish meals it was just enough different to be exciting. Next to the recipe happened to be an advertisement for cream cheese. It was kinda weird (does cream cheese really need an ad) but it was all these little pieces of bread smeared with cream cheese and covered with yummy vegetables. It looked delicious and inspired me to make some with dinner. Well minus the cream cheese(that is reserved for bagels and frosting). My bread was a Rosemary Sourdough with goat cheese. I used tomatoes and basil from my garden! Tonight Olive decided that she loved tomatoes and ate them off two slices of bread that were supposed to be for Blake. Oops! The photo is really ugly but that was dinner and it was tasty!

Cumin-Scented Quinoa and Black Rice

  • 1/2 cup short-grain black rice 
  • 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed well
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
  • 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 3 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 2 tablespoons 1" pieces chives
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 avocado, peeled, pitted
  • 1 lemon, cut into wedges

Preparation

  • Bring rice and 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, 25–30 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, combine quinoa, bay leaf, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; return quinoa to hot saucepan. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf, fluff quinoa with a fork, and transfer to a large bowl.
  • Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cumin and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add to quinoa. Add rice; mix well. Stir in remaining 2 Tbsp. oil, fresh lemon juice, cilantro, parsley, and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cut avocado into wedges. Serve salad with avocado and lemon wedges.



I wrote a big ol post then I realized it was really boring so I deleted it. I mean most of my posts are uneventful run downs of our day but this one was especially boring so I will leave you with photos of my good looking baby.











1 comment: