Cumin-Scented Quinoa and Black Rice
- 1/2 cup short-grain black rice
- 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons 1" pieces chives
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Bring rice and 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, 25–30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine quinoa, bay leaf, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; return quinoa to hot saucepan. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf, fluff quinoa with a fork, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cumin and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add to quinoa. Add rice; mix well. Stir in remaining 2 Tbsp. oil, fresh lemon juice, cilantro, parsley, and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cut avocado into wedges. Serve salad with avocado and lemon wedges.
I wrote a big ol post then I realized it was really boring so I deleted it. I mean most of my posts are uneventful run downs of our day but this one was especially boring so I will leave you with photos of my good looking baby.