Thursday, November 11, 2010

swimming in breastmilk

The good news is Olive is sleeping through the night (meaning 5 hours at a time) Whoever came up with that equaling sleeping through the night is nuts but at this point I'll take what I can get. The bad news is my milk hasn't quite adjusted to that schedule yet so I wake up in a puddle of my own milk with soaked through breastpads. Is this normal? What am I supposed to do? I'm thankful I have milk but at the same time after she wakes up and I feed here I'm sure its like drinking out of a fire hose. We've kinda gotten on a schedule now and its working quite nice I think. We put her down between 9-10 and then she is up around 2 or 2:30. That feeding is fine for the boobs, they aren't quite leaking yet just massive. She doesn't eat a ton at this time which is probably why I get engorged. We've been having trouble getting her back down the last few nights. She wants to play. Luckily Blake has taken over on this one so it gives me a change to get back to sleep before I have to get up around 6 or 6:30. I'm hoping she will try and get another hour of sleep in but for now its better since I'm quite leaky. So after that feeding I immediately pump to drain everything (a request from my lactation consultant)

I switched over to reusable pads hoping that would help but I think it was actually worse for night time. Since I had thrush I was changing the disposable pads after every feeding. I felt so guilty with all the waste and not to mention how expensive it got but now that I think its gone I went back to the cotton ones. I wonder if they make night time pads like they do diapers?

And now that I've talked boobs and milk for the morning I'm off to drive to agoura to see a friend who is visiting and of course see my mom!

1 comment:

  1. you can use a reusable prefolded diaper. I know gerber makes some and sells them at target. but I got mine at ourgreenhouse.com if you have a sports bra (that firsts) put the diaper horizontally in it. it will absorb SO MUCH MORE than a reusable pad. The pumping is great for getting an extra stash of milk, but when you pump your body thinks the baby is eating- maybe if you stopped pumping the milk flow would slow down... just a thought.

    Jennifer
    DIYCupcake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete